Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hike to the "Y" in the Rain! (by Bree)

I'm a BYU Alumni and have wanted to take the teens on a hike to the "Y."  I told them it wasn't the most fun hike in the world, but everyone needed to hike to the "Y" just to say they did it.  After weeks of dry, hot days, the one day it decided to POUR RAIN ALL DAY LONG was the same day scheduled for the hike.

As we drove down to Provo I secretly hoped the rain would magically stop as soon as we got there.

Nope.

It was raining harder and harder and definitely no sign of sun and blue skies.  I almost wanted to just give up and turn around, but I decided this could be a completely awesome adventure.  I didn't expect us to even make it all the way up to the "Y" but just encouraged the teens to do their best and we'd go as far as we could.




 You can see that we're completely soaked and the rain is dripping off our faces!  :)
 Embracing the smearing make-up.  She later wiped mud across her face as "war paint." 

 THEY DID IT!  Mud, rain, fog, and cold weather... they were champions.


 This is evidence of falling and slipping in the mud.


 Checking out the view below.





 Appreciating the warm shelter of a little cave area.


 Catching a little drink of water off the leaves.
I was so proud of them by the end!

I told them I'd buy everyone lunch if they made it to the top, so... we all went out to lunch before heading home.  :)  It was a great adventure and I'm so glad we didn't give up!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you all are Craaazy for going in that weather! But that's very impressive- way to be tough and brave and persistent. I don't think I've ever really hiked the Y, and I graduated from BYU, so I will have to go do that someday. Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete